Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates

Vaccine and Priority Group Information

Montgomery County Changes Phone Reporting for Animal Emergencies and Complaints

For Immediate Release: Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Effective Monday, July 1, 2013 at 6:00 a.m., calls to report animal emergencies and complaints in Montgomery County will be answered by Montgomery County Police Emergency Communications Center or MC311 call takers.

Call 9-1-1 to report animal-related emergencies:

  • Animal attacks in progress
  • An animal locked in a hot car
  • Animal cruelty in progress
  • An animal creating a traffic hazard
Call the police non-emergency number 301-279-8000 to report animal-related complaints:

  • A sick or injured animal or one that appears abandoned
  • An animal neglect situation
  • An animal in a trap issued by Montgomery County
  • An animal in distress due to severe weather conditions(animals without shelter or water)
  • An animal threatening the well-being of a community member (not in-progress)
  • An animal bite/attack (not in-progress)
  • An animal nuisance such as a barking dog, or not cleaning up after a pet
The MC311 Information Center will handle reports of dead deer along the roadway:

  • Call 3-1-1 or 240-777-0311 from a cell phone, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
  • To report a dead deer on a 24/7 basis, use the MC311 website
Continue to call 240-773-5960 to reach the Montgomery County Animal Shelter to inquire about:

  • Pet adoptions
  • The low-cost spay/neuter program
  • Pet licensing
  • To report a lost pet
  • Other animal shelter matters
Continue to call 240-773-5925 to reach the police Animal Services Division:

  • To speak with an Animal Services Officer
  • Follow up on a previously reported animal-related complaint
  • Inquire about the Animal Matters Hearing Board
  • Inquire about rabies vaccination clinics
Community members have become familiar with calling the police non-emergency number 301-279-8000 to report less serious crimes such as parking violations, noise complaints, a crime that is not in progress, and to report a suspicious person, vehicle, or situation. The police non-emergency number could also previously be called to report animal nuisance complaints.

# # #

Release ID: 13-223
Media Contact: mcpnews 
Categories: press-releases