We accept small tanks and cylinders of compressed gases at the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station at no charge.
At the Transfer Station, proceed to the Recycling Area. Hand your tank directly to an attendant on the upper lot near the electronics recycling drop-off.
- empty tanks and cylinders of compressed gases
- tanks and cylinders with remaining amounts of compressed gases:
- Propane ( 1 - 100 pounds )
- Oxygen ( Size M4 - M150 )
- Carbon Dioxide ( 540 grams - 6.8 kilograms )
Whenever possible, return propane, helium, SCUBA and other tanks to the vendor or supplier from which you obtained them for reuse. If you can't return the tank, try to use up the contents so the tank is no longer under pressure.
To avoid explosion risks, pressurized metal gas tanks and cylinders are not accepted in Montgomery County's curbside blue bin collections, or in its curbside scrap metal recycling collections