Aerosol-type fire extinguishers
Dispose of aerosol-type fire extinguishers in your normal household trash.
Cylinder-type fire extinguishers
We accept cylinder-type fire extinguishers from residents at our Household Hazardous Waste drop-off at the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station at no charge. We do not accept fire extinguishers from businesses.
If you have a household “ABC” type fire extinguisher no greater than 18 inches long, and cannot come to the Transfer Station:
- Place the extinguisher into two heavy duty plastic trash bags.
- Outdoors, lay the bag with the extinguisher flat on level ground.
- Fold the tops of the bags closed and with one foot, step on the fold.
- With a free hand, find the extinguisher's release lever from outside the bags. Gently squeeze and slowly release its contents.
- Knot or tie the bags closed and place them into your regular household trash.