Find this page fast with our shortcut: www.montgomerycountymd.gov/bulktrash
How do I request a bulk trash pickup?
You are eligible to receive five bulk trash collections each calendar year.
Bulk trash collections must be scheduled in advance of your collection day.
Make an itemized list of the
non-metal items you want us to pick up. (See
details about scrap metal recycling for metal items.)
Request your bulk trash collection
|Your request this way
||has this deadline for pickup on your next trash collection day
online form (Click "Create Service Request" button)
||11:59 p.m. on the day before your collection day
|call 311 (or 240-777-0311)
||7:00 p.m. on the business day before your collection day
If you request your pick up after the deadline, we'll collect your bulk items the following week on your trash collection day.
Disassemble extremely large bulk items. At least one side of the item must be less than 4 feet wide. Items with all sides larger than 4 feet will not fit in our collection truck, so we will not collect them.
- Examples include upright pianos, hot tubs, and backyard play sets.
On your collection day, place your bulk trash items adjacent to your regular household trash. Keep them separate from recyclables, yard trim or scrap metal you set out for pickup.
Set all of your bulk trash items, regular household trash, recycling, yard trim, and scrap metal at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
Use our Collection Day Lookup tool to see how your trash service is provided. Or, call 311 (from out-of-County: 240-777-0311).
Then, follow the bulk trash instructions for your trash service provider.
How do I cancel a scheduled bulk trash pickup?
Call Montgomery County's Customer Service Center at 311 (or 240-777-0311) by 7:00 p.m. on the business day before your collection day. Thank you for the courtesy call!
What is bulk trash?
Some rules-of-thumb are that bulk trash is
- an item that doesn’t fit in a trash can or trash bag
- a single large item from home remodeling (examples: a door, a cabinet)
- large non-metal items like furniture, carpet, and mattresses
- 5 or more bags or cans of trash
We accept these general item types as bulk trash. If you have an item to be collected that is not on this list, please call 311 (or 240-777-0311).
- Non-metal furniture (sofas, bookcases, etc.)
- Rugs and carpet (please roll and tie)
- Mattresses and box springs
- Large non-metal toys
- Mirrors or glass table tops that have been covered with newspaper and taped to prevent breakage
- Bathroom fixtures (non-metal tubs, sinks, toilets)
- Single items from minor home repair (wood door, bathroom vanity). We do not collect items generated from major home remodeling, demolition or construction.
- Plastic trash cans
What items are not accepted in bulk trash pickups?
- Large items that are 51% or more metal, and won’t fit in a trash bag or can.
Request a scrap metal recycling collection for these metal items.
- Uncovered glass mirrors/table tops
- Debris generated from major construction, remodeling, demolition or repair work like
lumber, non-metal fencing, shingles,
rock, sod, auto parts, non-metal kitchen cabinets, sheds and large dog houses, etc.
- Grand pianos
- Human or
animal fecal or uriniferous matter; infectious waste;
- Large items that will not fit in our truck, or pose a safety hazard to our collectors
What do I do with bulk trash items unacceptable for curbside pickup?
County residents may bring items not accepted for bulk trash collection to the
Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station or the Poolesville Beauty Spot. Dispose of loads of trash under 500 pounds at no charge. The Transfer Station also accepts trash loads of 500 pounds or more -
see fee schedule.
Tree stumps more than three feet in diameter, and large auto parts
cannot be disposed of at the Transfer Station.
Have more questions about collection and disposal of bulk trash?
Call the Montgomery County Customer Service Center at 311 (or 240-777-0311).